Head of research
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
The Sustainable Seas Trust (SST) is inviting applications from researchers with a PhD, a solid publication record and at least five years post-PhD experience to lead the SST research team with a focus on marine science and plastic pollution.
The research leader will need to guide researchers in the team ranging from remote sensing, monitoring and measuring plastic and micro-plastic waste in catchments, rivers, estuaries and the sea, marine conservation, GIS and mapping with at least a working knowledge of predictive modelling. The lead researcher need not be an expert in all the disciplines but should have a sufficiently broad understanding of science methods and statistics to be able to provide guidance. In addition to guiding all researchers, it is expected that the head of research will conduct his/her own research and publish.
The successful applicant will need to:
- Have a PhD, a solid publication record and at least five years post-PhD experience.
- Leadership capabilities, including guiding students and other researchers.
- A keen interest in research and a working knowledge of plastic pollution and marine conservation.
Please include the following when sending in your application:
- Letter of motivation.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Certified copies of qualifications (e.g. a degree/diploma/certificate).
- Evidence of employment demonstrating that the applicant has appropriate experience.
- A portfolio demonstrating successes and skills.
- Contact details of at least three references.