Head of communications
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
The Sustainable Seas Trust (SST) is inviting applications from leaders in communications and marketing to build and inspire a team of communicators. The goal is to promote the various programmes of SST, especially the African Marine Waste Network. If we are to change the way in which millions of people think and behave regarding plastic pollution, then an exceptional communications strategy is required.
The successful applicant will become part of the African Marine Waste Network Communications Hub which was initiated by PETCO, the PET Plastic Recycling Company, and which also provides support for the programme
The successful applicant will need to:
- Be a proven team leader who can develop and implement an impactful communications strategy.
- Promote networking throughout Africa.
- Have strong writing skills and be able to ensure excellence of all communications of SST.
- Have a solid record in managing media and press releases.
- Develop top-quality publications (including annual reports, promotional documents and project publications), based on a proven record in editing and document production.
- Have an understanding of websites and have the ability to coordinate the growth of the SST website into a respected and accurate information and networking platform on plastic waste.
- Work with the film team to effectively communicate valuable messages, market positive activities, and promote education and conservation.
- Oversee the events of SST, ranging from international conferences to small workshops and public events.
- Guide and set the quality for fundraising activities and marketing documents.
To achieve the goals outlined above, the Head of Communications should have:
- A Master’s degree in communications or a related qualification.
- Management experience.
- Proven capabilities in developing communications strategies.
- More than five years of relevant experience.
- Interpersonal & networking skills.
- Experience in events management.
- A passion for the environment.
- Photography and video capabilities.
Please include the following when sending in your application:
- Letter of motivation.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Certified copies of qualifications (e.g. a degree/diploma/certificate).
- Evidence of employment demonstrating that the applicant has appropriate experience.
- A portfolio demonstrating successes and skills.
- Contact details of at least three references.